The original 1987 Norwich conference, Usury: the root cause of the injustices of our time, was an eye-opening occasion. After endless decades of left and right, Conservative and Labour, Democrat and Republican obfuscation, here was an explanation that cut through these misleading dialectics in a single burst of conscientious erudition. Back then, the result was electric. Now, with the benefit of hindsight, it is proving little short of prophetic.
Recent events – the catastrophic bank collapses of 2008 and the impending total systems shutdown of 2009 – have furnished us with the opportunity to place this vital material before a new readership, one which has become witness to the unfolding nightmare of systemic disintegration. In 1987 such a scenario could still be dismissed as speculative doomsaying but denial is no longer an option; the time has come for real solutions.
Whatever the result of the signal events of 2008-9, a slide into depression, cataclysmic upheaval or a rebound into dynamic activity, the argument in this work still stands: Usury is demonstrably the motor of the injustices of our age and an adequate answer to this problem will not be found outside of any paradigm that refuses to acknowledge the iniquities inherent in the creation of money as debt.
Many people are waking up to the shocking reality of entrapment by the banks as their edifice crumbles around us threatening to destroy everything in its collapse. So our wish is only that this small work will be a tool and a touchstone for those determined to find sound bearings in the confusing times that lie ahead. This new edition contains the texts of the original lectures as well as some newer material that brings them up to date. However, as the reader will discover, these essays were not only strikingly prescient with respect to describing the problem but also with respect to prescribing the solution.
We Accept Dinars and Dirhams
Diwan Press, classical and contemporary books on Islam and Sufism
Diwan Press was established in 1975, and is one of the most illustrious names in English language Islamic publishing with an unrivalled catalogue of classical and contemporary works on Islam and Sufism. It was re-established in 2008 to place this existing catalogue before readers and to bring out titles continuing that tradition.
- Introduction by Shaykh Dr. Abdalqadir as-Sufi to the ‘Meaning of Man’ by Sidi ‘Ali al-Jamal
- The Muslims are imperfect but Islam is perfect: discuss!
- Ya Ayyuha’sh-Shabaab
- Community and Caliphate
- 2. The Rise of Science
- 1. Introduction to Technique and Science
- Discourses of the Secular
- The Translation of Identity
- I am nothing
- EU integration: progress reports for Albania, Serbia, Kosovo, Iceland
- "4th Bosphorus Summit" of the International Cooperation Platform (ICP)
- ZMD arbeitet in der „Projektgruppe Hasskriminalität“ der Agentur der Europäischen Union für Grundrechte mit
- ECRI Press Release 25.10.2013
- UK College Students visit Mosque
- Ottoman Women During the Advent of Western Feminism
- A European Tradition - by Silvia Horsch, Berlin